So Many Reasons to Have a New Pond...

why should you have a pond


For me... I blame my dad. He has always really enjoyed fishing, and I'm an only child so I had no choice-- I was going fishing! Not that I'm complaining. I learned my love of water by scooting slowly across Eagle Creek Reservoir in my Dad's boat. 

Coincidentally, my husband Steve was developing his love of water the same way at the same time... just a different lake -- Cataract Lake. We love nature and water. Camping, hiking, being outside has always been a part of our thirty years together; which has of course, been passed on to our kids. I've also always known that I feel better when I'm in nature or next to water. Maybe I never voiced it, but that was where I wanted to be to feel good.


ponds benefit mental health

There are loads of research that supports the mental health benefits of outdoor immersion. The terms "green therapy" and "eco-therapy" have been coined to explain the phenomenon. 

In one study published by the health organization Mind, depressed participants took a walk in nature and their depression scores were lowered 71%. 


Other studies have claimed that nature improves energy levels and general mental well-being. I cannot remember a time when I was walking in the woods or hanging out by water that I didn't feel good. Being in nature makes us happier. So much so that there's another new term... Nature Deficit Disorder for those that simply don't get outside enough.


ponds benefit mental health


And if that's not enough... other research has proven the effects of negative ions on our physical and mental well-being. Waterfalls are one way negative ions are created. Ions are molecules that have gained or lost an electrical charge. They are created in nature as air molecules break apart due to among other things... moving water! Once we breath in the negative ions, they produce biochemical reactions that increase levels of the mood chemical serotonin. Serotonin helps to alleviate depression, relieve stress, and boost energy! Whoa!


So, sitting close to your waterfall and breathing in the negative ions can also lift your mood. 


Not only is a water feature beneficial to you, but to the environment as well. Let's start with water consumption. If you irrigate, your water feature will use less water than the lawn it replaces. Plus when you have a body of water, it is "ecologically available" for use. That means animals can drink from it; critters can live in it; it can evaporate and become rain. How about pollution? Your lawn mower produces emissions that are not allowed in cars. Replacing that lawn means less pollution -- maybe not a lot, but it all adds up.


cool ponds pond
Here's my son, Steven (now our full-time project manager here at Cool Ponds) enjoying one of our very first ponds.
Family... Having a water feature draws in family and friends. There's no better gathering place for people to come together and guess what... have some eco-therapy together! What a great way to get kids outside and away from the electronics!


Water is a kid magnet. Entertaining around a water feature is easy. It does the entertaining for you.


While anytime the ground isn't frozen solid is a good time for a new water feature; practically, the latter part of the year is best. Your water feature can become established without a lot of algae from summer heat. If you are installing it yourself, the temperatures are good for outside work. For professional Cool Ponds installations, you won't have to wait as long for your initial consultation because we're not as busy as we are in spring.

Let me clarify that this pertains to properly designed and installed water features. If your water feature is giving you problems, then I'm sure your mental health doesn't benefit from being near it. But now's the time to decide to fix it, get a new one, or if you don't have one at all... take the plunge.


We've never had a client say they wish they had never installed their water feature, only that they wish they'd done it sooner.


>So decide your reason, then get in touch with us for a design consultation. We'll get you on your way to that new water feature.




Written by Staci Wicker
With husband and fellow Cool Ponds' owner Steve Wicker

Comments

Popular Posts