Winter Happenings

My Pond Is Confused!

This winter has left few people complaining so far. That may be about to change however. As we have enjoyed the majority of days so far this year in the 40's or even 50's, it's snowing today and a high of 19 degrees tomorrow.

So this has left my pond very confused. When I say my pond, I mean of course the fish and plants living in it. Most likely your pond is confused too. My fish have not gone dormant yet this winter. They beg when we walk by just as if it's the warmer seasons. I have anemopsis and iris sprouting and my acorus has not yet died back for the winter. Sound familiar? Well, don't get caught off guard...winter is bound to happen.

Here's what you need to know for the upcoming winter weather:

If you are using an aerator this winter, the air stones should NOT be at the bottom of your pond...period, no exceptions. You want to keep the water at the bottom of your pond undisturbed because that is the warmest area for fish. Plus, unless the aerator is close to the surface, it will not keep the pond from icing over. What if your stones are at the bottom and you can't move them? Option 1: Unplug it and use a deicer instead. Option 2: Disconnect the airlines and purchase additional lines and stones that can be placed at the surface. Use separate lines for warm seasons and the other lines for cold seasons. This is actually quite common. (Now of course I'm talking about backyard water gardens. If you have a farm pond or clay bottom pond, that's an entirely different story.)

Have a deicer in your pond and ready for action even if you are using an aerator this winter. It may be necessary when the temperatures are in the single digits to use a deicer. Now although we haven't needed it yet, at our house the deicers are in place and ready to go. All we have to do is plug them in when and if it gets cold enough that the aerators or waterfalls can't keep up. The last thing I want is to wake up one morning to the ponds iced over and for Steve to have to go out in the cold and install deicers. Poor guy. (I know, I know, I'm always thinking of him!) How do you know if your deicer is working before you put it in your pond? Put it in the freezer! After chilling for 30 minutes or so you should be able to plug it in (after you take it out of the freezer) and feel it start to warm up.

In case you have forgotten, refresh you memory with the other things you need to know about your pond this winter here.

We've been spoiled this winter. The good news is that it is almost half way through January.  "Real" winter can't last too long, right?


Written by Cool Ponds Staff Member Staci

Comments

Jen said…
Thanks for posting this --- my fish are acting the same way, and I noticed that the water was getting murky this week. But yikes, it's still COLD water when I had to get my hands in there to clean out the filter!!
Jen, Not knowing your pond set up, I can't comment completely, but unless your filter is keeping debris out of your pump, there's no reason to run it in the winter. Biological activity is dormant in the winter. You can just take the filter media out in the fall. I agree that NO ONE wants to put their hands in the water now! You might consider a solids handling pump or an external filter --- so much easier!

Popular Posts